Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Smarter Than Your Honor Student (Day Nine, Paragraph 11)


I don't want to be one of those parents. You know the kind. The ones whose kids poop better than your kids, speak better, walk better, play better, sleep better . . . you get the idea. But my kid is pretty freakin' smart. He is thirteen months old and he understands so much of what is going on around him and is aware of so many concepts it is frightening to me. For instance, this weekend we were having a snack at the kitchen table and I crossed my legs so my bare foot ended up right in his line of sight. He kept pointing to my foot, so I did the "this little piggy" ditty and wee-wee-wee-wee-wee-wee'd it right up to his chinny-chin-chin - much to his delight. A few minutes later, after drinking some soda too quickly, I belched a little and said something to the effect, "Oh, Mommy is such a piggy." Without missing a beat, the kid pointed to my foot. Then last night my husband was singing the alphabet song while he played with the kid. At the conclusion of the song, the kid runs over to the refrigerator magnet toy we have that plays the alphabet song and pushed the button to play the song. Once, it seemed like a coincidence. When it happened twice, though, we knew he understood what was happening. I am not really the bragging type but - my kid is smart.
Photo credit: Zesmerelda on Flickr

No comments: