Friday, February 13, 2009

"Most of the time is was probably real bad . . . " (Day Thirtythree, Paragraph 35)


. . . being stuck down in a dungeon. But some days, when there was a bad storm outside, you'd look out your little window and think, 'Boy, I'm glad I'm not out in that.'" - Jack Handy (SNL)
How is this for an overwrought metaphor: work is the dungeon (as portrayed in some overly dramatic Medieval movie) and the economy is a bad storm outside. Sure, I am being dramatic - especially in these economic times when so many find out every day that they no longer have work to go to. So inasmuch as I am grateful to have a job to go to I really really really don't like my job. As I've alluded to before, I am "out" in terms of the social scene here - and granted, work is for work and not for play but a huge part of liking your job is the people you work with. I don't really care for what I do for a living and I never really had. A few years ago I took off about a year to see if there was something else that maybe I would rather do but my timing was off and there weren't many open jobs around back then either (it was late 2001 - not a great time to be looking for work in down town New York City) so I ended up where I had started by default not because I found out that I was doing the right thing for me. Now I have a kid and a house with a huge mortgage. I no longer have the luxury of taking time off to explore. So I drag my butt to work everyday and wait and wait for the weekend to come. Every Sunday I have to force myself to not cry - especially when I think about how awesome the time I'm spending with the Boy is and how four other days during the week I have to drop him off at day care. OK - that's it. I have to go because I'm going to cry. And I can't cry here. Crying is not allowed in the dungeon.

Photo credit: steve p2008 on Flickr

No comments: