Monday, March 22, 2010

Pipe Dreams

Galapagos Islands. My strongest association with these islands is not Charles Darwin and his Beagle but rather Vonnegut and his novel.

I remember being on a Vonnegut kick when this book came out in paperback and devouring the whole thing in a weekend. I was so entranced by the characters and the evolutionary concepts being put forth. It was over twenty years ago now so the details are fuzzy* but I couldn't get the book out of my head. This is the kind of book that made me dream of going into science. Obviously that didn't happen. But I do still love reading science fiction. Maybe it is time to break out the old Vonnegut paperbacks again. I might understand more than I did back in junior high.**

*Pun optional
**Junior high=middle school of yore

Photo credit: cdorobek

No comments: