Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life is a Dream

Today's photo is another example of why I love the internet. My first thought when I saw this was, "Ooooh. Pretty." Then I thought, "Gee, this looks a bit like the plaza where we hung out in Amsterdam a jillion years ago. How will I ever figure out where this is?" So I looked at the picture in its largest size and I could make out some words on the pedestal of the statute. So a-Googling I go and I find out that Pedro Calderón de la Barca is a famous Spanish playwright whose life and works are feted in Madrid by this statue. Which means (a) this isn't Amsterdam and (b) I get to learn something new. Calderon de la Barca's most famous play is titled Life is a Dream
and it chronicles a story about free will vs. fate. Life as an illusion is an overarching theme (hence the title). Heavy stuff. But for my purposes here today, it is the simple, face value, aw-shucks, gee-whiz, cock-eyed optimist interpretation of the title that I am drawn to: I gave notice at my job today and I start my new job in about two weeks! WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! I have felt stuck, trapped, etc. where I am so being able to move along is really a dream come true!

Photo credit: David Boyle on Flickr

1 comment:

David B said...

I love the Internet because I can snap a few piccies and pieccies as I cross a square and piece them together on my iPhone and send them to my wife and to flickr before I've even checked in to my hotel (the building in the photo). Then, before I've had my dinner, someone has seen the photo an been on a whole journey as a result. I love it!